Responsible Business – Let’s take responsibility!
Taking responsibility for the environment and the local community plays an important role for The Rezidor Hotel Group. All Rezidor hotels take part in a dedicated Responsible Business (RB) programme. Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering such areas as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
This hotel is engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation of the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the World Childhood Foundation is to defend children’s rights and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
RB achievements of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam include:
Green Key certification
The Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam proudly possesses Golden Green Key Status. Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to leisure organisations and facilities that meet an extensive array of environmental requirements. Besides environmental demands, the criteria include demands on policy, action plans, education and communication. Organisations must demonstrate responsibility for surroundings and society. Organisations are graded bronze, silver or gold depending on their level of compliance.
Responsible Business is not only about caring for the environment. The hotel is actively involved in social and economic issues that affect the local community by means of:
- Initiating various activities to benefit World Childhood, including a 220-kilometre bike challenge, a collection box at the front office and participation in several sponsored races
- Organising an annual charity event for KIKA (Children Cancer-free)
- Serving soup to the homeless in association with the Salvation Army
- Sponsoring the Ronald McDonald’s Children’s Foundation
Waste generation control
- Reduce: Hotel suppliers are asked to decrease the amount of packaging. Portion packs are avoided when possible.
- Reuse: Papers are printed double-sided; old furniture, bedding and equipment are donated to charity groups.
- Recycle: Paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, CD-ROMs, magnetic cards, batteries and metal hangers are recycled.
- Elevators with counter weights to reduce energy consumption
- Energy-efficient light bulbs throughout the hotel
- Key card-operated main switch in guest rooms
- First Aid and Heart Start defibrillator trained staff
- Security manager, managers on duty and regular security trainings
- TRIC formula: Threat assessment, Risk evaluation, Incident response, Crisis management and communication
- Monthly reporting of copies and prints
- More than 80% of employees use public transportation to help reduce urban air pollution
- Responsible Business included in all job descriptions
Guests can help too!
- Become a Club Carlson member and help environmental projects in cooperation with a carbon offset organization.
- Donate such unwanted items as toiletries, towels and clothes by leaving them with housekeeping staff or dropping them off at reception.
- Return corks to the hotel restaurant for recycling.
- Place used batteries in one of the hotel's battery boxes.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when they are not in use.
- Use public transport.